Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Trend Alert: Sheer-Detail Cocktail Dresses


Lately celebs have been heating it up on the red carpet and at other events wearing cocktail dresses with sheer cut-outs. I remember first taking note of this trend when Leighton Meester wore an Emilio De La Morena dress with bum-baring details to the 2009 MTV Movie Awards (pictured above). At the time I remember liking the idea of the dress for that award show but thinking it would be a tad over-the-top for any other event. Well, it appears that this trend is sticking around (above: Olivia Wilde, Emily Rossum, Khloe Kardashian). And designers seem to be getting quite creative with where they place the sheer-details! What do you think of this trend? I think it is a bit much for me personally, but I like the idea of it. If you are daring enough to try this trend I have located a few dresses similar to those pictured above. Below: American Retro "Lumi" dress for $208 available on www.shopbop.com; Silence & Noise mesh inset dress for $48 available at Urban Outfitters; Elizabeth and James sheer back bandage dress for $365 available at Saks.

While most of the sheer-detail dresses I've seen on celebs are in your basic black, I did run across this picture of Kristen Bell (below) the other day in a fabulous BCBGMAXAZRIA pink cocktail dress with sheer detail at the top. For some reason this dress seems to me to be a bit more wearable than those pictured above.

Below are a few less daring dresses that I have located that still have some fun sheer detail to them, but may not be as over-the-top: Bonnie sheer panel jersey dress for $83.72 available on www.asos.com; Alloy sheer sleeve dress for $39.90 available on www.alloy.com; La Rok "Bon Voyage" dress on sale for $138.50 on www.couturecandy.com; ABS by Allen Schwartz illusion yoke sequin shift dress for $318 available at Nordstrom.

No comments: