Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Fashion Do: Oxfords

As part of what appears to be an emerging menswear trend, celebrities have recently been wearing oxford shoes with skirts, shorts, and pants alike. Above: Olivia Palermo, Rhianna, Sienna Miller, Whitney Port. I think Olivia and Sienna definitely rock their oxfords by pairing them with a more feminine ensemble. Rhianna's outfit also isn't bad, but poor Whitney looks a hot mess and is a definite example of how not to wear the oxford this fall! As demonstrated above, oxfords need not be in the traditional black and white as on Whitney above, but are now available in metallics and colors. For those of you who know me, you may be surprised that I consider these shoes a fashion "do," but I really do like the boxiness of the oxford when paired with a feminine outfit. It is the contrast that I like just like a moto jacket over a flowy dress. But as Whitney demonstrates above, these shoes can quickly become a fashion "don't" when worn with the wrong outfit. While I probably won't run out to the stores and buy a pair of oxfords, I do already own a very square-toed menswearish pair of black patent loafers that I may have to break out again here in the near future! If you want to try out this trend, check out these options below: Candela NYC spectator oxford for $198 available at Urban Outfitters; Steve Madden "Melin" oxford for $99.95; Jeffrey Campbell "Uniform" oxford for $109.95 available at Nordstrom; Kimichi Blue heeled oxford for $58 available at Urban Outfitters.

No comments: